How to make a hearty creamy soup.
This creamy Vegan cream of mushroom soup is one the best comfort soups you can have; it is so creamy, rich, and flavorful. You can make it with fresh white or brown mushrooms and some of my favorite spices. It is vegan, soy and gluten -free but rich in proteins .
It doesn’t taste like vegan! Even my kids, who are always skeptical and struggle to eat plant-based, think I added some dairy cream to make it so yummy.
What are the pantry staples for this vegan cream of mushroom soup?
You will need:
Olive oil or any healthy oil
Fresh white, brown mushrooms, or any mushrooms.
Vegetable broth or water
Spices – smoked paprika, turmeric, black pepper, and cumin powder, dry basil leaves.
How to make vegan cream of mushroom soup from scratch
- Heat oil in a large cooking pot, add chopped onions and cook until soft. Add crushed or minced garlic and cook until they start to brown.
- Put in the chopped mushrooms, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add your spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the water or vegetable broth and bring to boil. Switch the heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered and the water burns up or reduces; this will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the coconut or cashew cream, mix well and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook, as that will break the cream. Add salt and pepper to your preferred taste and serve warm.
What is the secret to making soup creamy without adding flour?
You do not have to add flour or heavy dairy cream to this soup to make it creamy. Coconut cream does the trick since it has a rich creamy, thick, and comforting flavor that makes it an excellent alternative to flour and dairy heavy cream.
Using coconut cream without adding flour also helps make this soup less calorie dense, helping reduce weight.
Coconut cream tends to break on high heat, therefore cook it on low heat for the shortest time possible.
Try to use organic or non-GMO coconut cream brands. They make the soup taste more authentic and delicious.
Can I substitute coconut cream with other non-dairy cream or milk?
Yes, you can swap coconut cream with other non-dairy cream or milk such as cashew, almond, or soy but do not use oat or seed milk alternatives. These tend to change their form when heated.
How Can I make this vegan cream of mushroom soup oil-free?
To make this soup oil-free, do not add any oil. To cook the onions, slice your onions into small pieces, add some water, and cook on high heat.
Cook until all the water dries off, let the onions brown a little, and then add the garlic and 1-2 tablespoons of water.
Cook on medium-low heat until the water starts to dry off, add the prepared mushrooms and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the prepared spices and cook for a minute.
Follow the rest of the steps (3-4) on making mushroom soup from scratch mentioned above.
You may also like: Healthy Creamy Vegan Mushroom Alfredo
Easy Homemade Vegan Alfredo SaucePrint
Healthy Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup.
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Healthy creamy vegan cream of mushroom soup that takes less than 30 minutes to make. It is so refreshing and heartwarming to beat even a severe cold.
2 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 medium onion chopped
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dry basil
2 Garlic clove crushed
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1 cup fresh white mushrooms
½ cup coconut/cashew cream
½ cup water/ vegetable broth
1. In a medium cooking pot heat oil for about 2 minutes. Add the chooped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add in the crushed garlic and cook until they start to brown.
2. Add the chopped mushrooms and let the contents sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the spices. Stir occasionally to allow the spices to infuse into the mushrooms.
3. Pour in vegetable broth or water and bring to a boil. Cover the contents in the pot and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
4.Lower the heat to medium-low, add the coconut or cashew cream. Mix it in well and cook on low for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to your preference.
4.Garnish with freshly chopped herbs and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup